My plumber’s been in! That’s right, I have a working bathroom!
Now it’s not all good news. Apparently I wasn’t supposed to tile all the way up to the valve, so my plumber got to have fun chipping out my work to make the trim piece fit. And he couldn’t make the one I wanted fit, so he swapped it for a more basic one. Honestly, no big deal. I like my shower head, although he also said he had trouble installing it and it was leaking like crazy. But still, it’s done!
And I think the only proper way to celebrate is to take a duckface selfie in the bathroom mirror.
And a few more details about the room as it currently looks. In my imagination, the mess will go away eventually. The sink, mirror, and shower curtain are also temporary; I bought the cheapest rod possible because (at Aldi of all places) I loathe tension rods. The rings with rollers are nice, but the joint in the rod defeats their purpose.
And on the flooring front, I’ve been held up again. The plan was to buy the very small amount of extra flooring that I need on Friday and get it installed this weekend. But there was no one working at the warehouse where Philadelphia Salvage has it (I bought everything they had in the store that matched mine). Then today I found myself with an air compressor but no nailer. I’m going to take half a day on Monday to try to get all this behind me and start Sheetrocking the second floor. This kinda needs to happen fast because I want the patio door in before winter (It should arrive around the end of the month) and I want to take all my stuff upstairs before the brick wall on the back of my house gets torn out.
Plus, having walls throughout the second floor will be amazing.
So, unequipped to do the work I wanted to do, I spent today in search and destroy mode with creaks in the front bedroom. Some of them were so bad I could actually feel the boards vibrate when I stepped on them. Now, the floor is stiff and virtually silent, and all the scraps of plywood from everywhere else in the house are put to good use!
Just like the other pieces that I needed to hold the floors together, these are put up with lots of Liquid Nails and short screws.
A friend and I started going around for the worst creaks in the room, and kept going after smaller and smaller creaks with smaller and smaller scraps of plywood. I’m really, really happy with how this turned out. The upstairs hall still needs some help, but that can wait till after the Sheetrocking is done. For now, the oak strip flooring is protecting the awesome pine underneath. I’ll deal with it all later; Sheetrocking the living room ceiling is on my mind, but not quite on the schedule yet. I’ll leave you with a shot of the transition from oak to pine that came with the house. It’ll be way nicer to have the same floors throughout the upstairs (although I do have a threshold into the back bedroom) and having the floors run the length of the upstairs hall. The way they are now, running across its 26 inch width, looks a little weird. Not that weird is a bad thing.
Oh and one more thing. I ended up with a lot of short pieces of pine flooring that don’t match the widths of any of the longer floorboards I have left. This is annoying because it means buying more flooring to finish the room, but it’s good because it resolves my question about the closet floor. It will be the same pine as everywhere else.